Quesadillas on the BBQ? Yes it is as good as it sounds! Crispy on the outside, cheesy and peppery on the inside â€“ it doesnâ€™t get much better. Theyâ€™re good on their own, but for a real treat try them with our Cheesy Tomato Dip, yum.
If you want to make the recipe even simpler, you could just use salsa and cheese for the filling, it is still delicious.
This recipe is part of our Memorial Day Menu.
Step 1: Starting the Grill
– Preheat your grill to medium low heat.
Step 2: Preparing the Filling
– Mince the roasted red peppers, chipotle chiles (if using), garlic cloves, and cilantro.
– Put them all into a small bowl and mix together with some salt and pepper to taste. (If youâ€™re using salsa, add this now)
– Grate your cheese if itâ€™s not already done.
– Slice the red onion into thin half moons and separate the segments.
Step 3: Assembling
– Place on tortilla on a plate and brush the top of it with olive oil.
– Flip the tortilla over and spread a third of the pepper mixture onto it, leaving a border of around 1 inch clean on all sides.
– Place some slices of onion on top of the peppers.
– Top with a third of the grated cheese.
– Put a second tortilla on top and press down slightly. Brush oil onto the top of this tortilla.
– Prepare the rest of the tortillas in the same way.
Step 4: Grilling
– Bring the quesadillas out to the grill on a plate. Also take a heavy frying pan or smilar (without a plastic handle).
– Slide the quesadilla onto the grill (as you can see we could only fit on one quesadilla at a time), and carefully put the frying pan on top of it to weight it down. If youâ€™re cooking more than one quesadilla at a time, just move the frying pan around, it doesnâ€™t have to be on them all the time.
– After a few minutes the bottom tortilla will go crispy, flip the quesadillas over now and brown the other side. Replace the frying pan to make sure theyâ€™re nice and flat.
– Theyâ€™re done when both sides are crispy and the cheese has melted. This should only take a few minutes.
Step 5: Serving
– Cut each tortilla like a pie, into 8 pieces.
David B. May 29th, 2010