If youâ€™ve never tried it, grilled pineapple may sound a bit strange. But trust me; this is one of the simplest and most delicious desserts you could make. Not to mention it has the added benefit of being fun! Who could resist dessert on a stick dipped in bowls of molten chocolate?
This recipe is part of our Memorial Day Menu.
Step 1: Start your Grill and Prepare the Skewers
– Preheat your grill to low heat.
– Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water
Step 2: Prepare the Chocolate Sauce
– Grate the chocolate.
– Put the cream in a pot and bring to a boil (or close to one).
– When the cream is very hot, remove from the heat and add the grated chocolate, stir until melted.
– When youâ€™re ready to serve the dessert, pour the chocolate into little bowls for people to dip their pineapple into. (If the chocolate has cooled too much, you can reheat it very gently on the stovetop)
Step 3: Prepare the Pineapple
– Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple, then slice all the scaly skin off the sides.
– Cut the pineapple into quarters, vertically, and cut each of these quarters into three slices, lengthwise.
– Remove the woody strip from all the pineapple slices. (Make sure this is totally removed, thereâ€™s nothing worse than biting into a succulent piece of pineapple, only to find something hard)
– Slide the pineapple onto the skewers, lengthwise.
– Coat the pineapple heavily on all sides with brown sugar.
Step 4: Grilling
– Place the pineapple on the grill, make sure itâ€™s not too hot or the pineapple will burn instead of caramelizing.
– Flip the pineapple when the underside looks like it has caramelized nicely.
– It is done when both sides are golden and slightly scorched.
Step 5: Serving
– Serve on a large platter with the chocolate sauce (this can be reheated on the stovetop very gently on low heat if it has cooled a bit), dip and enjoy!
David B. May 29th, 2010