Makes around 4 cups
This is my favorite guacamole recipe; I love how the cream cheese makes it extra creamy. And paired with the lime juice, I could eat it with a spoon!
This recipe is part of our Memorial Day Menu.
Step 1: Preparation
– Cut the avocados in half and remove their stones. Then scoop out the flesh and put it in a bowl.
– Finely dice the onion and garlic, add these to the bowl with the avocado.
– Squeeze the juice out of the lime, using either your hand, a fork, or a citrus juicer and add to the bowl.
– Cut the tomatoes up into a small dice and set aside.
Step 2: Mixing it up
– Add a bit of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper (or cayenne).
- Now add the cream cheese and mix/mash it all up. (Make sure the cream cheese is nice and soft! You can always put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time to soften it more) You can do this in a food processor or blender if you want, but the thought of having to clean an appliance always motivates me to do it by hand.
– Make sure the cream cheese and avocados are well mixed together, and then stir in the chopped up tomatoes.Â (The tomatoes are stirred in after the mashing stage so they donâ€™t get turned to mush)
– Now the most important part, checking the flavors! Donâ€™t skip this part; it is crucial for a well balanced guacamole. Try tasting it with the chips or whatever youâ€™ll be eating it with. Does it need more lime juice? More salt? More red pepper?
Step 3: Serving
Scoop the mixture into a nice bowl and top with chopped cilantro
Of course guacamole is good with chips, but it is also delicious with our Grilled Quesadilla recipe.
David B. May 29th, 2010